As with all of our recipes we like to give you a little background of the dish so that you know something a little more about what you are eating other than “I like the way this tastes”. Please excuse the “Alton Brown” references or style but we really do like his message on his shows so we can’t say we are truly like him but we do like to add a little something to our videos and posts.
With that said let’s press forward; Beef Short Ribs!
As you can see by our borrowed Wikipiedia.org picture above this is the location of the steer that we get ribs from. Beef ribs are usually tenderer and some would argue that there is more meat on the beef ribs. Others would say there are also larger bones. Regardless of who’s right, beef short ribs taste amazing. There are several ways we can cook beef short ribs but for this episode we are going with my favorite and in my personal opinion the best way to cook beef short ribs as there is very little effort put into making them and you really can’t mess up. If we were grilling them or using the oven we could over cook them or cause them to be super dry and then you are stuck eating shoe leather. So the way we are doing them today is a technique called braising, which basically is searing the meat and then submerging it in a liquid until it has cooked to your likeness. The idea here is when you are braising you get the best of both worlds, high heat to sear the meat and give it lots of flavor and then cooking it in liquid so it doesn’t dry out.
I wanted to take a second and give you a little background about this recipe before we just dove right in. several years ago I was non-Paleo and would “experiment” with food. One time I got this great idea to take a common New York City fare, Black Peppers and Coffee crusted NY Stripe, and tried that on a burger. These “Coffee Burgers” as they were branded were a hit or miss depending on your taste in food. So after that time I never really gave it anymore effort and just left this dish to fade away. Well now recently in my Paleo lifestyle I had ordered a 1/8 of a grass-fed steer and one of the cuts I got that were about 6lbs of beef was short ribs. For whatever reason I thought of my “Coffee Burgers” and decided that this would be a great time for redemption. I would like to think that I nailed it this time around. Post your comments below and let me know what you think.
- 3 lbs. grass-fed beef short ribs
- Sea Salt & freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1-2 Cup of Dry White Wine
- 1-2 Cup of Strong Brewed Coffee
- 1 large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon dried Oregano
- Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Pan
- Coffee or Espresso maker
Mobile Version: Click Here
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the ribs and brown until golden about 2-3 minutes per side. (Try not to turn them more than once.)
- Transfer the ribs to a plate. (If you would like you can paper-towel line the place)
- Pour the wine and coffee into the skillet. Cook over high heat, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom, until the sauce is reduced by one forth, about 2-3minutes.
- Put the ribs, onion, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, chili powder, and oregano in a slow cooker. Pour in the sauce and cook on high for 2.5 hours. Transfer the ribs and sauce to a serving dish and enjoy. (during the 2.5 hours check up on the meat and make sure that you don’t have large pieces hanging out of the liquid)